It´s official! Cisco launches VIRL, so you can run virtualized versions of IOSv, IOS XRv, NX-OSv and CSR1000v. It´cames in 2 Flavours plus 2 different Gift Cards :)
VIRL Personal Edition is capped at a maximum of 15 Cisco VMs. You can run more non-Cisco VMs, assuming that you have sufficient memory and CPU.
Educational pricing is available for this product for college students, parents buying for a college student, or teachers, homeschool teachers and staff of all grade levels – limited to one purchase.
VIRL enables users to:
• Build highly-accurate models of real-world or future networks.
• Learn and test with ‘real’ versions of Cisco network operating systems – IOSv, IOS XRv, NX-OSv and CSR1000v.
• Integrate virtual network simulations with real network environments.
• The download includes VIRL Personal Edition 1.0 Pre-Release software with a single-user annual license to manage up to 15 Cisco nodes.
The memory requirements for each VM type can be seen via VM Maestro by selecting a node on your canvas, opening the ‘properties’ panel and pressing the ‘Browse’ button under ‘Node/VM Flavor’.
VIRL requires communication with the Cisco salt-master servers in order to complete the software installation but after that has been completed, VIRL will attempt to check in with the Cisco salt-masters automatically. If it communicates with the Cisco salt-masters successfully, you are given a ‘7 day license’ enabling you to operate ‘off net’ for up to 7 days.
You must purchase and install one of the following supported Hypervisors in order to run Cisco VIRL.:
• VMware Fusion Pro v5.02 or later (including v6.x or v7.x)
• VMware Workstation v8.04 or later (including v9.x and 10.x)
• VMware Player v5.02 or later (including v6.x)
• ESXi 5.1 / 5.5 using the vSphere Client: ESXi 5.1U2 (Build 1483097) or ESXi 5.5U1 (Build 1623387)
Here’s the summary:
IOSv = 1vCPU, 512Mb
IOS XRv = 1vCPU, 1536Mb
CSR1000v = 1vCPU, 3096Mb
NXOSv = 1vCPU, 2048Mb
You can view a short demo of the product in the link below.
Presentation of Cisco VIRL at Cisco Live